Answered By: Kira Appel (Libraries)
Last Updated: Aug 21, 2020     Views: 199

The New School Archives and Special Collections collects theses from a limited number of master’s degree programs. Some master’s level thesis collections in The New School Archives are available  online, while others are available in print form only, requiring an in-person consultation. In-person visits are not currently available due to building access restrictions imposed in response to  the COVID-19 pandemic. Archives staff may be able to provide scanned portions of print theses for credit evaluation and verification purposes.


Please contact The New School Archives by email for assistance locating a specific thesis, or to receive an update on in-person visits to the Archives:


Digital theses available online include:

New School Creative Writing MFA program theses, 2015 only


New School for Social Research MA Liberal Studies theses, 1993-2019


Parsons School of Design MFA Design and Technology program theses, 2001-2019


Parsons School of Design MFA Lighting Design program theses, 1987-2017


Parsons School of Design MFA Photography program theses, 2005-2019


Parsons School of Design MA Design Studies, 2014-2018 (forthcoming, please contact Archives


Print-only theses (requiring appointment):

Note that links provided are to inventories of theses, not to digitally accessible documents.

Julien J. Studley Graduate Program in International Affairs theses, practica, and International Field Program reports, 2003-2015


The New School Creative Writing MFA program theses, 1998-2011


Robert J. Milano Graduate School of Management and Urban Professions student papers, 1978-2005


Parsons School of Design MA Architecture and Design Criticism program theses, 1987-1995


New School for Social Research MA in Anthropology, Economics, Politics, Psychology, and Sociology

No inventory available. Please inquire by email


The joint Parsons School of Design/Cooper Hewitt MA History of Design and Curatorial Studies (formerly MA Decorative Arts and Design) theses are kept at the Cooper Hewitt Research Library. Some are available online through the Smithsonian.

Some Parsons School of Design MFA Lighting Design theses are housed at the University Center Library Main Collection. To locate them, search the library catalog using the keywords: Master of Fine Arts in Lighting Design.

If the program you are seeking does not appear above, please contact the department that granted your degree. For PhD dissertations, please see the related FAQ answer.